Thursday 15 July 2010

Interview with Vicki Death

Dotted with hearts was lucky enough to interview the amazing horror artist - Vicki Death!




Q. Tell us a little about you and your etsy shop.

I’m an independent artist based in the North West of England. My Etsy store is aimed at selling original horror and tattoo inspired art for affordable prices. I’ve sold art on and off over the years through various means, but finally opened my Etsy store in Novemeber last year. You can also find various other items featuring my art at my store, including; bookmarks, jewellery boxes, ceramic items, greeting cards and gift tags.

Q. Where in the world are you based?

I’m currently based in Warrington, UK. You can find my online store here: www.vickideath.etsy.com.

Q. What made you get into painting? Have you always painted horror themes?

I’ve been painting for as far back as I can remember. As soon as I was able to grasp a crayon I was scribbling and doodling. It evolved from there. I’ve always found art my way to express myself, vent anger and as a means of relaxation. It’s like my therapy. My favourite cartoons as a child was Count Duckula and The Real Ghostbusters, so I was always drawing vampires and ghosts as a kid. My grandmother would always let me watch classic horror films at her place, which led me to drawing the characters from them also.

Q. What do you enjoy creating/painting most?
It depends what mood I’m in. Some days I’ll be wanting to draw a monster, the next it’ll be a classic pin-up girl. I always have fun creating zombies, there are just so many ways you can paint them, and they’re also a great subject to use for experimenting art techniques.




Q. Who or what is your inspiration?
I have a variety of inspiration, mainly classic and b-movie horror, traditional western tattoos, pin-up and hotrod art as well as the music I listen to; Horrorpunk, rock‘n’roll, psychobilly and punk bands. And not forgetting the artists who I adore. Tattoo artists such as Allan Graves, Jeff Rassier, Bob Tyrrell and Dan Smith. Plus Lowbrow artists including Vince Ray, Johnny Ace/Kali Verra and KRNPX. The list in endless.


Q. Do you have any plans or new projects coming up?

After many inquiries and requests, I’m hoping to get some prints made by the end of the year. As well, as starting to plan a project to release an art book. I’m also hoping to getting some of my work shown in galleries too!

You can find Vicki Death on the following sites:

Etsy: http://www.vickideath.etsy.com/

Twitter: www.twitter.com/VickiDeath

Blog: http://www.vickideath.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment