Friday 17 September 2010

Interview - Handsome and Lace


Dotted with Hearts interviewed Handsome&Lace!

Q. Tell us a little about yourself and Handsome & Lace:

Handsome&Lace started with the reconstruction of ties. I have always loved neck ties so to reconstruct them into beautiful things for women makes me feel productive and excited! I have made things such as hairbands, necklaces, earrings and more all from preserved ties! I have been dabbling in some other upcycled accessories... all with a very classic feel to them. My favourite era's are the 30's and 40's and tend to bring these elements into my designs.

Q. Where in the world are you based?
I'm based out of my home in Toronto, ON. Canada has shown me some really universal styles that make it very easy for me to create very unique things without being frowned upon. There are so many talented people in this city so you have to be on top of your game or you will end up blending in. That challenge for me is a great one! It keeps me innovative and on my toes at all times.

Q. What made you get into crafting?

I have always been creative and was nurtured as a kid by my mom's side of the family...They are all neurotic but creative. It kind of goes hand in hand.lol I started redesigning neck ties in 2007 and still find new ways to reconstruct them!; ) I have so many ties in my home that they take up about 30% of the space in here! It's very exciting to look at them every day. Very motivating...I can tell these ties are not happy as ties and make promises to get to all of them eventually.


Q. What are your favourite items to make? Do you make custom pieces?

I LOVE making hairbands in particular...I started with hairbands as one of my first accessory projects. I ended up selling 10 the day after making a few and knew that I had a market. Something about a good hairband really makes someone stand out as confident and for the most part you have to be when wearing Handsome&Lace. It is one of my personal missions to help women gain confidence in any way I can. I also LOVE challenges so custom orders are my pride and joy. I recently just make 10 velvet bowties for a woman's wedding and she loved them! There is always that worry that they get rejected.lol


Q. What are your most popular items?

Hairbands are number #1 with Handsome&Lace right now. I would love to be the IT place to shop for hairbands...eventually...I also get a lot of sales on my tiny tie earrings which I haven't made in a few months...I guess I should get on that! I also see that my newly designed guitar straps are becoming very popular with bands! Tokyo Police Club and Oh No Oh My have been known to wear Handsome&Lace reversible guitar straps..also made from neck ties!


Q. Do you wear your pieces yourself?

ALWAYS! I wouldn't sell something if I didn't love it myself. My hope is to stay true to the uniqueness and quality of my pieces while keeping them true Handsome&Lace originals. I also feel super cute when wearing my designs. Why not feel good when you can, right?


Q. Who or what is your inspiration?

Silverscreen movies play a HUGE role in my designs. I love the strong black and white ensembles that say 'classy'. I actually came up with my collar necklaces from watching The Three Stooges...I love this show plus love manipulating what the stooges are wearing by coming up with the feminine version for modern times is really fun!

Q. Where would you like to see yourself in five years time? I'd love to have my own little boutiue, and sell all around the world. I don't need to be rich or wealthy. Just a leader in unique accessories : )

Please add any links you would like included :-)

Website: http://handsomeandlace.ca/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/HandsomeAndLace?ref=ts
Handmade Gift Guide: http://www.thehandmadegiftguide.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/HandsmAndLace
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/HandsomeAndLace

1 comment: