Wednesday 15 September 2010

Interview - Dreadlocks on the Rocks


Dotted with Hearts got to interview the lovely Cristina of Dreadlocks on the Rocks!


Q. Tell us a little about yourself and Dreadlocks on Rocks

Hi! :D My name is Cristina, I'm a 22 year old Graphic Design student with a passion for tangling hair (not the most glamorous hobby it's true). I moved to the UK about a year ago when I started University and I noticed that there was a bit of a niche in the dread locking business, so I said why not put my "gift" to good use? And that's how Dreadlocks on the Rocks was born...

Q. Where in the world are you based?

I am based in the centre of Birmingham - the home of all things weird and awesome.

Q. What made you start this business?

Well, I come from the eastern part of Europe, where dreadlocks are quite popular, therefore 10% of the population knows how to make them (more or less :P ) so it was fairly easy for me to learn - it's like a trade secret, you have to pick it up from watching other people do it and eventually doing it yourself . When I moved to Birmingham I noticed that there weren't many people who did dreadlocks, and even less places where you could go to get dreadlocks if you have Caucasian hair. So I started my little home-run business in order to provide for the people who wanted an awesome set of locks on their head. I also offer maintenance sessions to those who need to tame their locks and help people remove their dreadlocks so they won't need to shave their heads :P

Q. Do you have any advice for anyone thinking about getting dreadlocks?

One very important thing about dreadlocks is that they're not your average funky hair-do, you can't really get them today and take them out 2 weeks later (well you can, but why would somebody go through all that trouble). Getting dreadlocks is a commitment, so I advise anyone who wants to get them to do their research. Also, they don't look perfect from the beginning - as they mature they start looking better and better. I sometimes compare the whole process to having a baby - when you have them done it takes a good few hours and it hurts a bit, but once you're done with that you're so happy that you forget about everything else. The only difference is that dreadlocks don't grow into teenagers who start arguing with you :))


Q. Do you have dreads yourself? And whats your favourite things about them?

Yes, I have had my dreadlocks for two years now and I can honestly say that getting them has probably been the best hairstyle related decision I have ever taken - they don't pee on the rug and they don't keep you up at night...hell, I'd pick dreadlocks over a hamster any day :) But if you have a hamster you can still get dreadlocks he-he! Seriously, dreadlocks are the best thing ever.


Q. Who or what is your inspiration?

This might sound like a cliché but I guess I'm inspired by the people around me. I wish everyone could just calm down for a moment and just...relax and take it easy, maybe that sounds too easygoing but really, I think the world needs less things to worry about; with dreadlocks at least you don't have to worry about combing or styling your hair, so one less worry in the world :) People should be happier :D


Q. Where would you like to see yourself in five years time?

I'd like to open my own little shop, somewhere on a narrow little street, where I could sell funky little handmade things and continue making dreadlocks. And I would have lots of beanbag chairs...definitely.

For people who are thinking of getting dreadlocks or just want to have a chat and find out more about them - you can find me at:
http://dreadlocksontherocks.blogspot.com/ - Website
http://www.facebook.com/dreadlocks.on.the.rocks - Facebook
or just e-mail me at dreadlocks@live.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment